Monday, December 11, 2006

My PS3 opinions deemed inappropriate for Japanese TV :-(

Finally, I got a video-game related TV job last weekend. I was scheduled to appear on 'Bankisha' (shortened form of 'Bangumi Kissha', or 'Reporter TV program') to talk about the availability of Japanese Playstation 3s in the UK. The program tries to make itself out as some kind of rogue journalism, getting to the heart of burning issues.

There were four of us foreigners in the program's segment, and needless to say, I was the only one who even knew what a PS3 looked like... (it was merely coincidence that I was chosen, they needed a British guy).

The recording went quite well, and I managed to make some good, valid points. So, imagine my horror when I eventually watched the show and realised that they'd edited me out! I spent a good hour or so fuming about it this morning. With hindsight, I think I can now guess why they used the other dudes, but not me. It would seem that my knowledge on the subject stopped me from towing the line, and I actually stood against some of the main points that the program was trying to make.

First, you should watch the video, then I will tell you what my section entailed, and you can make your own judgments.
Oh, and by the way, if you are only interested in seeing me, and don't care for the program, you should skip straight to part 2.



Ok, so basically, in our section, we had to do an eBay search in our region for PS3s, and then the staff and camera would come over, and we'd chat about it. They basically wanted to show two things; that lots of Japanese units were available abroad, and that people were paying ridiculous prices...

First, I pointed out that eBay had forbidden people from creating ps3 auctions in the UK until February, so any units that were there weren't really indicative of demand, or the real prices being paid. They weren't interested. What they were interested in was the most expensive listing that came up - 1,200 pounds - and they focused on that, going, 'wow, how expensive, just as I thought the UK is the most expensive!'.
Now, this simply wasn't true, and I am sick of the UK getting painted with the 'most expensive' brush. So, I pointed out the truth;
This was a buy it now price, nobody had bid on it, and nobody would, because the guy was being greedy.
Some units (the ones with bids, and I also showed them the finished auctions) were going for less than 500 pounds. He translated that into Japanese yen, and it came out at almost double the Japanese PS3 retail price. 'That's really expensive is!' he said. I didn't think so, considering that the UK PS3 is rumoured to launch at 425 pounds anyway, and won't be coming out for months - it doesn't seem like such a ridiculous price to me when put in that context. There are always some people who just have to have it. He asked me if I'm going to buy the system for 500 pounds. I'm sorry, but what a ridiculous question. I said no, because I live in Japan, and can get it for the Japanese price. He gave me a quizzical look. What the heckfire was he expecting me to say! 'Oh no, I can't buy it... only crazy rich people can afford that!' Seriously, what the hell!! What kind of mentally challenged people watch this show, if they think that Bankisha flew people in from these four countries who can speak Japanese, and now they are going to fly back and buy a PS3?!?

Anyway, so, yeh, I'm pretty bitter about it. Of course, I knew that Japanese TV was crap and sensationalist, like a TV version of the Daily Mail, but I have to say that I was disappointed nonetheless. I was looking forward to the chance to get some exposure talking about games on national TV, and informing people about foreign perspectives... but I was dashed. Still, I would rather be edited out than to simply follow the pied piper and smile and grin whilst they channel their lies through ignorant foreigners. Bad journalism!

Anyway, besides my own personal grudge, I don't like the basic premise of the program - that PS3's aren't available in Japan because Chinese people and other foreigners are buying them all surreptitiously. No fingers are pointed at Sony for having a pitiful number of units available at launch, and screwing the Euro zone by delaying the launch there and raising the price. Even if not a single foreigner bought a Japanese PS3, they would all be sold out after all - I mean look people, you still can't walk into a store and buy a frikin' DS Lite here!

2 comments:

Erwin Ho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erwin Ho said...

I'm from Belgium (part of the "screwed Eurozone") and have followed developments from the PS3 closely. You're right when you say the television show injustly placed blame on shortage of units in Japan on foreign racketeering. It's also a shame your opinion was cut out.

This is investigative journalism though, and all around the world these kinds of reports serve to "prove" the producers *opinion* instead of actually investigating the truth. In Japan, this is mixed with the common xenophobic opinion that "all foreigners are suspicious" (or at least "okashii", come on, did you see that Indian guy they called up? Or that hugely endowed Brazilian girl?) I'm sure that a lot of HK/China/Thailand/..eBay resellers got their stuff from Japanese college students who wanted to make a buck, but of course this is cut out or not mentioned in their report: it *had* to be a Chinese college student (in Japanese eyes, already a criminal wanting to "steal" either Japanese stuff, or at least Japanese knowledge and culture). And in the end, they *needed* to find an "obaasan" that bought a PS3 for her "poor PS3-robbed Japanese grandchildren".

Anyway, good luck with your blog, it seems quite an experience none the less to be in Japan. Oh, and my name is Erwin, I personally had no dicve with your translation of the videos (perhaps partly because my Japanese is sub-JLPT4 level). You can check out my blog anytime. Cheers!